Dry Body Brushing is a method of body exfoliation that has been practiced for centuries in many cultures. It is said to energize the body, increases circulation and blood flow, and stimulates drainage from the lymphatic system to smooth skin’s surface, sweep away flakes and dry patches, and even out lumps and bumps, including cellulite. Any type of exfoliation can usually help to prevent ingrown hairs as well by clearing dead skin cells that can trap hair under skin’s surface.
How to dry brush daily:
Here is a step by step guide to the ritual:
1. Get your brush
2. Get ready: It’s best to do before a shower, and you’ll need to be completely nude. Many claim it’s energizing, so you might consider switching to a morning shower if you typically do so in the evening.
3. Master the movement: The strokes should be medium pressure-you want to feel something happening without irritating the skin. Long strokes are the best; you are trying to push up lymph fluid, and that requires a delicate and rhythmic touch. You’ll also want to do each pass more than once, and overlap sections while brushing.
4. Start at the feet and move upward: The point of dry brushing is to encourage lymph toward your upper torso, where the lymphatic fluid will reenter the bloodstream: You always want to follow the circulatory system.
5. As you get to the top of the legs, continue over the butt, lower back, and stomach: Treat the butt as an extension of your thigh. On your stomach go in circular clockwise motions.
6. Move to the arms: As you did with the feet, start with the hands and go across(again) toward the heart. Be mindful to treat under the upper arms, where many lymph nodes live.
7. Finish with neck and décolletage: When you get to the neck and décolletage, this time you’ll be dragging downward since that’s toward the heart area.
8. Take a shower as usual: This will help clean the body of the dead skin cells that have come loose during the brushing process.
9. Moisturize while damp: Smoothing on an oil or cream will seal in water from your shower. Always moisturize with damp skin!
10. Stick to it: You’re not going to see any difference unless you are diligent about your routine, as the same goes for everything from skin care to eating healthy to working out. But if you follow the practice regularly, you’ll likely see great results!!